We will be working on many skills this year in English. Below is the skill we are working on right now. You will also see a list of the skills we will cover by the end of the year.
We will be focusing on dictionary skills to the end of the year.
3rd Grade English Skills
- Dictionary skills
- Plurals( Change y to i, f or fe, add -s or -es)
- Parts of a letter (The 5 parts are heading, greeting, body, signature, and closing.)
- Homonyms- Words that sound the same but can be spelled different and have different meaning (scent, cent, sent)
- Antonym- opposites words (hot, cold)
- Synonym- similar words (cold, cool)
- Paragraph-Topic sentence, 3 detailed sentences, and a closing sentence
- Abc order
- Nouns- a person, place, or thing
- Adjectives- describes a noun
- Verbs- a verb can be a action word. It can also be a linking verb or a helping verb.
- Sentence Structure- There are two parts to a sentence. The subject part is who or what a sentence is about. The predicate part is telling what the subject is doing. The predicate part starts with a verb.
- Capitalization- beginning of sentences, abbreviations, proper nouns and adjectives, quotation marks
- Punctuation-We will look at different punctuation marks like commas, periods, exclamation, question, and apostrophes.